Thursday 30 April 2015

Buttermilk Pancake with Salt Cod, 62º Egg and Smoked Maple Butter


I like to think of myself as an open-minded person, the kind who would try anything at least once (except maybe insects). But I think it was understandable for me to look at this dish with a few reservations.

I get the concept, I really do. Sweet combined with salty, a bit of a twist on a Canadian breakfast. But pancakes with salt cod? That's just downright strange. Nevertheless, I was intrigued, so I took one of my friends to Bodega in Surry Hills to try the eccentric dish. 

When it came to the table, it looked great. When eaten in particular sections, it tasted great too. The buttermilk pancake was thick, sweet and gorgeously fluffy. The egg made me realise that it should be mandatory to always cook eggs to 62 degrees. The smoked maple butter was extremely sharp on its own, but more subtly tasty when mixed with the other elements. Then came the cod. Not only was it salty, it was quite intensely fishy, which doesn't agree with my taste buds much. 

All in all, I enjoyed it, but the cod just wasn't for me. Still, I would recommend giving it a try for its distinctiveness, and there are so many incredible dishes on the Bodega menu that you can't go wrong with having your next dinner there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment