Wednesday 22 April 2015

Pippies with XO Sauce on Fried Vermicelli & Dish #69: Salt and Pepper Squid


Golden Century is a Chinese restaurant on steroids. It's huge, expensive and has the biggest range of live seafood I've ever seen.The boisterous restaurant in Chinatown is one of Sydney's most famous Chinese restaurants, and for good reason. The menu is extensive and the food is fresh and bursting with flavour. When my boyfriend and I visited one Saturday night, we sat next to a table of boisterous businessmen and watched as waitstaff scurried around, much too busy to be friendly. But we didn't mind, it was all part of the experience. 

We ordered half a kilo of pippies, which were then fished out of their tank and held up in a plastic bag for our inspection. The wet black shells didn't look very appetising, but what came to the table a little while later was gorgeously colourful and fragrant.

The pippies were juicy and slightly fishy, but not unpleasantly so. We both adored the XO sauce and the fried vermicelli noodles soaked in sauce had my taste buds in raptures. I can still remember the flavour perfectly (insert sigh of longing here). I'd never eaten pippies before, so I'm glad that my first experience was a great one.



The second dish I was there to try (two dishes from one restaurant, crazy!) was the salt and pepper squid. This dish was simple, with the classic flavours of salt and pepper combined with chilli. The batter was nice and light, making it super easy to eat and addictive. We kept popping more and more into our mouths as the night went on.


All in all, Golden Century certainly lives up to its reputation and the two dishes were exceptional. Also, I got to see what a bottle of twenty-five thousand dollar wine looked like, and that was all I could talk about for a week afterwards.

Golden Century Restaurant
93-399 Sussex St, Sussex Centre Management, 
Sydney NSW 2000

No comments:

Post a Comment