Monday 27 July 2015

Aroma Festival & Cockatoo Island



Last Sunday's theme was spontaneity. Originally, we had planned a quiet lunch and a spot of grocery shopping, but the clear blue sky was stirring up all kinds of adventurous spirits. Then when Anth mentioned something about a coffee festival, it became all I could think about. 

Pretty soon we were in Circular Quay, where the Aroma Festival was buzzing with hundreds of people buzzing with caffeine. Rows of stalls stretched from the MCA to the Rocks Markets, selling organic chocolate, fancy teas, pastries, street food and a whole lot of coffee. Plus everything coffee related, including beans, machines and home brewery kits. 

I wish I could say that I can taste the difference between earthy and fruity beans, or that the words single origin meant more to me. But I can appreciate a good brew and I'm pleased to say I had two at the festival. One traditional hot cuppa from Djebena Coffees, and one chilled double shot espresso with burnt orange peel and simple sugar syrup from Black Drum Roasters. Talk about contrast right? 

























After the festival, we had some time to kill so the obvious solution was to catch a ferry. Where to? Cockatoo Island. What could we do there? We had no idea. 

Despite our uncertainty, it turned out to be a pretty cool place. The island's had many uses over the years, as a penal colony, a ship building and repairs dock, and a reform school for girls. Now it's mainly a historical attraction, with its sprawling warehouses and antique machinery, but it's also used for events and even festivals. It would make an awesome place for groups to hold an amazing race or scavenger hunt, or an interesting corporate retreat. There's a camp site there, or if you're feeling fancy, there's also glamping! 

The highlight of our visit was the giant chess board (not super unique I suppose, but still fun). I lost the game, in a ridiculously slow, near-stalemate ending, but the day overall was a massive win. It reminded me that the city I call home can be quite fun and fascinating, and I'm anticipating more Sydney adventures to come.  

No comments:

Post a Comment