Monday 4 May 2015

Ricotta Hotcakes with Banana & Honeycomb Butter

If you brunch in Sydney, you've heard of Bills' ricotta hotcakes. If not, well, get yourself down to Surry right now (or the next morning at your earliest convenience) and give them a taste.

That's what I did today with my boyfriend, who was sweet enough to take me out for a pre-birthday brunch (I'm turning twenty-two tomorrow! Cue Taylor Swift song). It was my first time visiting Bills and I was feeling extremely lucky. The sun was out, my latte was great and the menu looked so tantalising that I was almost regretting being there to try the hotcakes. Luckily, they were the sweet, pillowy goodness that I had always dreamed they would be. 

The dish came out looking almost exactly how I imagined (although it kind of resembles a crab, can you see it?) The hotcakes were superb, with a thin crust on the outside and soft, warm ricotta on the inside. The balance between sweet and salty was perfection. The bananas were slightly caramelised and made a lovely accompaniment to the hotcakes, as did the sugary maple syrup. I only wish there was a little more honeycomb in the butter, but that's a minor criticism in an otherwise perfect score. 

All in all, these hotcakes are legend for a reason. And judging by the amount of people eating them around us today, the world knows it to. 




Bills
359 Crown Street, Surry Hills NSW

No comments:

Post a Comment