Monday 18 May 2015

Wonton Noodle Soup


The Happy Chef in Newtown is an affordable, nondescript Chinese restaurant with a colourful menu and traditional food. You get the sense that the food has been made the same way for years, subscribing to the notion that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. 

On a dreary day last week, I was keen to try the wanton noodle soup for lunch to warm my belly. It came to the table smelling delicious, however the broth just wasn't as tasty as I would have liked. It was quite mild and watery. The actual wontons were great though. Moist, flavoursome pork wrapped in a silky casing, the perfect little parcel and so very yummy!

All in all, I think I'm going to head back to The Happy Chef sometime soon in the hope that I just happened to catch them on an off day. Also, I didn't actually get to see the chef, so I can't tell you if the name is true, but the elderly man at the counter was super sweet, so I wouldn't be surprised.

The Happy Chef
262/266 King Street, Newtown NSW 2200

No comments:

Post a Comment