Thursday 19 March 2015

Khao Soi (Egg Noodles & Braised Chicken in Northern Region Coconut Curry)


When you're looking for comfort food, you can't get much better than a lovely bowl of thai coconut curry. It ticks all the boxes: warm, filling and packed with freshness and flavour.

I've always had great experience with the food at Chat Thai in Haymarket, which is more authentic than your run-of-the-mill thai restaurant. However due to my aversion to chilli, I don't usually order curries (see my last experience with chilli here). But when I tentatively sipped my first spoonful of the khao soi, I realised I didn't care that my tongue had already started burning, it was so damn good. 

Seriously, I loved this curry. The different textures of the crispy egg noodles, soft veggies and crunchy onions kept it interesting, while the chicken was firm and moist with all the tasty curry juices it had soaked up. There was a gorgeously creamy coconut flavour undercoating the dish and the splash of lime juice was the perfect touch to tie it all together. 

All in all, even though I needed to order a thai iced milk tea to get through this dish, I would certainly go back for more. Especially the next time I need to clear up my nasal passages. 


Chat Thai
20 Campbell Street, Haymarket NSW 2000

No comments:

Post a Comment