Monday 16 March 2015

Pork Knuckle with Sauerkraut, Horseradish, Mustard & Pickles



I haven't sampled a lot of German food in my time, so I didn't have much more than an image of schnitzel and beer to go off when I walked into Tommy's Beer Cafe in Glebe. 

The restaurant did have a range of schnitzels available (and plenty of beer), but I was delighted to see some other really interesting dishes and sides on the menu. But I only had eyes for one, the Friday Lunch Special. 

When the pork knuckle came to the table, I was somewhat overwhelmed. I looked at the waitress thinking "are you sure this is for one person?" The pork knuckle was huge and encased by a thick, golden layer of crackling. The meat underneath was tender and flavoursome, but it wasn't until I paired it with the condiments on the side, that the real magic happened. 

When added to the sweet pork, the mustard and horseradish created a piquant combination that was highly addictive. The simple, yet brilliant addition of the pickle added another element of flavour. Normally, I would savour the precious crackling in a pork dish, but in this case there was so much of it I could barely make a dent. 

All in all, this dish was so salivary worthy and taste-bud tingling that I've been converted for life to a marriage made in heaven: pork & pickles. 


Tommy's Beer Cafe
123 Glebe Point Road, 
Glebe NSW 2037 

No comments:

Post a Comment