Tuesday 24 March 2015

Sean's Chicken Lollipops with Chilli & Molasses Dip


I think there's something to be said about the name of a dish on a menu. Sometimes, just a few choice words grouped together can cause curiosity and uncontrollable salivating. 

To me, this was one of those dishes that just sounded amazing (I mean, lollipops, c'mon). I'd been to the The Morrison Bar & Oyster Room before so I already had elevated expectations from my past experience. As anticipated, the oysters were outstanding, however, I was disappointed with the chicken lollipops. The waiter let us know that the recipe had been changed recently, which meant that the chicken was no longer coated with crunchy spices. 

I have a suspicion that this elimination might have been a bad idea, because unfortunately the dish was quite unremarkable. The chicken was well-cooked, but the skin wasn't very crispy or seasoned. However, the star of the dish was the delicious sauce. The rich, sweet molasses worked in harmony with the chilli to add a much-needed kick to the lollipops.

All in all, this dish was a bit of a let down. Maybe in the future, The Morrison will bring back the old lollipop recipe! In the meantime, you have to visit them for their Alaskan King Crab and incredible duck fat chips. 

The Morrison Bar & Oyster Room
225 George Street, Sydney NSW 2000

No comments:

Post a Comment