Tuesday 10 March 2015

The Cecina (air-cured Wagyu beef with truffle foam & poached egg)


Good food has a strange effect on me. In a restaurant, I can often be found bouncing in my chair with anticipation bordering on anxiety, repeating a lot of phrases like "oh my God", and closing my eyes in ecstasy as I taste the first few mouthfuls.

Yesterday, my experience at MoVida provided prime examples of these reactions. MoVida is a gorgeous Spanish restaraunt in Surry Hills, with the type of menu that makes you wish that you had a bottomless stomach (and wallet). I was there with my boyfriend to try the Cecina, which, surprise surprise, was absolutely incredible. 

It came to the table with the truffle foam and the poached egg sitting in the middle of the beef, and we were instructed to fold the beef over the other two elements like a little package, then smash the egg inside. The combination of the flavours was simple and impeccable. I was obsessed with the salty, chewy Wagyu, and the truffle foam was an earthy delight. 

All in all, this dish was a must try, not to mention that everything else that we ordered was crazy good too. But to top it all off, Matt Preston was sitting at the table behind us, and you can't get any more validation than that.



 MoVida
50 Holt Street, Surry Hills NSW 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment