Sunday 15 February 2015

Dengaku Nasu (sweet eggplant)


I'm a bit of a sucker for fancy. Fancy places, fancy food. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with the simple things in life, but every now and then, I like to feel fancy.

Toko in Surry Hills fulfilled my monthly quota of fancy, with its serene, modern interior and waitstaff that were as polite as they were attentive. Most fancy of all, was the food. The dish that I was there to try was the dengaku nasu (sweet eggplant) and I have to say, it was my favourite dish in the challenge so far. 

The sauce was unbelievable, the flavour was so strong, yet a perfectly balanced combination of sweet, salty and nutty. With the eggplant melting in our mouths, all we could do was attempt to capture the flavour in words and raise our eyebrows at its deliciousness. 

All in all, judging by the amount of delighted noises we made while eating this dish, it was a clear ten out of ten. 


Toko:
490 Crown Street, Surry Hills NSW 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment