Monday 10 August 2015

Cafe Hopping In Surry Hills

















Café hopping is, in my opinion, one of the best Sunday pastimes. So you’ll probably be seeing a lot of it in this space. If you’re not a fan, forgive me. If you are, then enjoy (and let’s go together sometime!)

Surry Hills was our destination last Sunday and as most Sydneysiders know, there's an abundance of cafes there to choose from. Usually, I select my cafes quite carefully, through word of mouth or Broadsheet/Urban List reviews. But this time I hadn't done my research and Anth and I were both dangerously close to getting hangry. Luckily, good old Google pointed us in the direction of Reuben Hills.

The trendy Albion St café serves up a vibrant menu with a Mexican twist. There’s a whole range of flavour-packed dishes and drinks, to satisfy cravings for breakfast, brunch, lunch, dessert and coffee breaks. Speaking of coffee, their latte was lovely and well-made. I tried the cacao cold drip, which I’d never heard of before but had to order, because, cacao. Water-based, with ice and a blend of cold drip cacao and coffee, it was refreshing and subtly bittersweet.

For foods, Anth couldn’t go past the "really fucking great fried chicken", which really lived up to its name. It came out super tender and moist, with a deliciously thin, spicy coating. I’m a sauce person (probably the only thing Manu and I have in common) so I was super pleased to see two different dipping sauces for the chicken, as well as picked chillies. Win!

I had to try the intriguingly named “the NOT Reuben”: wagyu salt brisket, pickled slaw, manchego and horseradish mayo on rye. It was a salty, pickle-y taste explosion. The rye was moist with delectable juices, but still held its integrity and didn’t let the sandwich fall apart. It’s safe to say, I was obsessed.































After Reuben Hills, it was on to dessert at our favourites, Devon Café. Little brother to Devon on Danks, Devon Café serves a variety of café favourites with a quirky Asian influence. I love the vibe at Devon, everyone always seems cheerful and terribly excited about their food. They do a great matcha latte, served up in their signature red coffee cups, which frankly I think are a stroke of genius. They're easily recognisable on social media and they add a bright pop of colour to any photo taken there (which is a lot, believe me).

We had never tried "Little Lost Bread", one of their classic dishes, and as we suspected, it was incredible. With brioche French toast, triple chocolate, caramelized banana, salted caramel ice cream, how can you go wrong? I’m not usually a French toast kinda gal, but the brioche was gorgeously buttery and not too dense. The slightly bitter chocolate and salt balanced out the sweetness of the dish perfectly. Also, I must mention, the salted caramel ice cream was almostalmost as good as Messina’s, and that’s really saying something. 

All in all, it was an extremely successful day of eating, which is my favourite kind of success (is that as sad as it sounds?). Here’s to future café hopping! Let me know your personal favourites in the comments below.






















Reuben Hills
61 Albion Street, Surry Hills NSW 2010
(02) 9211 5556
www.reubenhills.com.au

Devon Cafe
76 Devonshire St, Surry Hills NSW 2010
(02) 9211 8777
www.devoncafe.com.au

No comments:

Post a Comment